During our next few weeks together, we will be working on a pretty tight timeline. Here are some typical timeline events that you need to know about and begin preparing for. (Don’t worry, you don’t need to memorize this now. I’ll send you reminders as we go)
Prior to your project start date:
- Sign contract & make payment (already completed, way to go!)
- Begin thinking through the layout of your website. I don’t mean just the design stuff… but the general flow of your pages (what pages do you want? What content do you want on each page and in what order? What pages will link to other pages? etc — don’t worry, once we start I’ll review this and give you my opinions too). This info will come in handy when you begin writing your website copy.
- Write your website copy. The best way that I’ve found to do this is to create a word or Google document and title each doc page with the title of each page on your website… for example, you could have a HOME page, an ABOUT page, a WORK WITH ME page, etc. Next, you will begin typing your content in the order that it will appear on the page.
If you are working with a copywriter, all copy must be completed prior to our start date. Copy can always be adjusted and tweaked upon completion of your website and I will teach you how to edit your website text. However, it is easiest to keep the design portion of your website project to designing only.
- Collect desired images. If you do know exactly where you want certain images please let me know, otherwise I will lay them out for you. I will need a folder (Dropbox or Google docs works well) full of images that I can use on your site. I am able to help you search for stock images that fit your brand for an additional hourly fee.
- Complete all the steps of this client guide.
At least 24 hours prior to your start date:
- Please send me all of your finalized website copy, images, layout document (i.e. site map), and any other specific thoughts you have about your website layout and design at this time. This is one of the MOST important deadlines as missing this step will push the project behind schedule and additional time may need to be purchased in order to complete all steps (or some steps may need to be forfeited).
On your project start date:
This is the day the FUN begins!
- You will receive a link where you will be able to view the progress of your site at any point over the next few weeks.
- If you would like, we can set up a “coming soon” or “under maintenance” landing page at your domain name at this point. If you do not currently have a Squarespace site, you will need to begin paying for your hosting package and your domain name in order to make this “coming soon” page active to the public
Timeline of your project:
- During the first three weeks you will have my undivided attention (I won’t take on any other client work during this time). This part of the project is the most design heavy.
- Week 1: I will build your home page and one other page for your review. This will set up the design “look and feel” of the entire site.
- Once these two pages are completed and ready for your review, you will be able to give all of your compiled feedback at this point. Please make notes of anything you notice you would like to see changed and compile these requests in one place. It is easiest to send all revision requests at one time vs here-and-there during the design process.
- Week 2: I will take the perfected “look and feel” from the home page and work it into the remaining 3 pages. Once all 5 pages are complete and ready for your review I will let you know. At this point you will send me a second compiled list of revisions and adjustments that need to be made. The end of week two ends our time of my undivided attention on your project, but don’t worry, you will still have access to me as we get your site perfected and ready to launch!
- Week 3: During this week we will take care of any last minute adjustments that need to be made to your site prior to launch. I will do the back-end work to get it ready to go… including but not limited to SEO work, image optimization, and a full link check. We will launch your site into the world by the end of week 3 at the latest (This is when any final payments must be completed by).
- Week 4: I will package your files, content, and any brand material created into a dropbox folder which will be sent to you by the end of week 4. You will have 30 days to download these files to your dropbox or computer before they will be deleted from my dropbox.
if you have any questions about this timeline please contact me. Once you have read the above information and agree to the timeline, please click the button below and type your name to give your consent and agreement.